Saturday, December 24, 2011

Oh please ghost of Christmas past take me back to 1978 I have been a bad boy

So the other night I was watching that musical version of "A Christmas Carol" where Sir Alec Guiness played Jacob Marley and I realized that going to hell is actually not a bad price to pay for time travel. When I got to thinking about it, Scrooge accomplished what Einstien and eveybody else who wishes they could relive the 1980s could only dream of. He traveled through time both backwards and forwards and all he had to do was be cheap and a little stingy for most of his adult life. Hell I can do that and I'm already pretty cheap. Somebody tell me how bad do I have to be for Obi-Wan Kenobi to give me a ride to 1978?

Carsons 10 December 1978


IT ISN'T CHRISTMAS 1978 UNLESS AT LEAST ONE PRESENT COMES IN A BOX BIGGER THAN YOU

Here we have a really cool ad from Carsons (they're still around!) that is unlike most of the ads I've seen for old robots in a lot of ways. Not only does it qualify as a robotastic smorgasbord as defined in episode 32, but it also has a bunch of loose robots hanging out AND there's an actual kid in the shot. It's more than an ad-it's a vicarious 1978 Christmas experience. This must have been what it was like to be a dad during Christmas Day of 1978 looking down on all the money you blew on robots as your kid gently breaks their arms off one by one, loosing all their pieces while you dread how much of a pain in the ass it's gonna be to put that Micronaut Microrail City together. I once read that Baron Karza's motivation for being evil was he wanted to become immortal by committing such horrendously inhumane atrocities that he'd loose all his humanity. But I think the real reason was he just wanted Ben Kenobi to give him another crack at Carson's tremendous Micronauts sale that ended December 17th all those years ago.

No comments:

 

Minibox 3 Column Blogger Template by James William at 2600 Degrees

Evil King Macrocranios was voted king by the evil peoples of the Kingdom of Macrocrania. They listen to Iron Maiden all day and try to take pictures of ghosts with their webcams.