Friday, August 14, 2009

Dinner and a Show



I was planning on going to a comic shop this weekend to buy that plasticpiece Voltron I've been thinking about getting since it came out. Then I came across a piece of Voltron art being exhibited at a gallery in Columbus, Ohio next month and it made me think twice. At first when you look at Scott Campbell's "Super Hungry" you may see a simple cute rendition of green lion munching down, but I believe there is deeper meaning here. I think the artist is communicating a message of how toy robots are like pets in that they are a tremendous responsibility. You have to care for and maintain them and they become a burden on your life, but unlike living animals who do you the favor and die, you're stuck with your Voltron forever.

[I know I've got a couple readers and friends in the Columbus, Ohio area-Dave and Todd (and I think Will)-so you guys may want to check out the 80s cartoon themed exhibit at the Rivet Designer Toy & Art gallery starting September 5th.]

2 comments:

Idiot_Savant said...

I will be going to this. I'll see if Matt and Toddmichael want to go .Who is Dave?

Evil King Macrocranios said...

I met a guy named Dave at a convention in '06 and I've seen him at Botcons since but we never talk much. He's an enigma of sorts and I only made the connection because I found his blog a couple years back but I've since lost the link. I could have sworn he was from Columbus or around there. I think he wanted a tetrajet but I didn't make enough that year. Hopefully he'll speak up.

 

Minibox 3 Column Blogger Template by James William at 2600 Degrees

Evil King Macrocranios was voted king by the evil peoples of the Kingdom of Macrocrania. They listen to Iron Maiden all day and try to take pictures of ghosts with their webcams.