Wednesday, December 19, 2007

IF ONLY I HAD A SUPER KRYPTONIAN BRAIN I WOULD BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND THIS CRAP!

Devastator's tech spec describes him as "Slow, awkward, not too bright" and also "Pure brutality-Sole purpose is to crush all in his path." Both of those I think describe my son perfectly and that's why I call him "The Devastator". He can't crawl yet but the sheer amount of destruction he leaves in his wake is awesome and terrifying. The only time he isn't destroying things is when he's asleep, and I was looking at him sleep the other day when something clicked in my head. Seeing him at this age must have been what it was like for my dad when I was an 8 month old Constructicon death machine.

Although I don't have memories of that time, seeing my son gives me an understanding of what I must have been like when I was a baby. You know that scene in Superman Returns where he's looking at his son sleeping and he goes "You will see my life through your eyes, as your life will be seen through mine. The son becomes the father and the father becomes the son." I never understood what the hell that "father becomes the son" part meant and I felt really stupid because it sounds so profound. Finally it all clicked. It was as if I remembered being my father's baby again just by looking at my own baby. My first reaction upon enlightenment was, 'I totally get that Superman line about father and son now! I need to tell my best friend, the internet!'

It was nice to have my relationship with my son mirror one of the more positive cinematic father and son experiences. Up to this point we had more in common with the Darth Vader/Luke Skywalker relationship model which involves lots of fighting, lots of things in the house breaking, and lots of playing with ATATs.

No comments:

 

Minibox 3 Column Blogger Template by James William at 2600 Degrees

Evil King Macrocranios was voted king by the evil peoples of the Kingdom of Macrocrania. They listen to Iron Maiden all day and try to take pictures of ghosts with their webcams.