Wednesday, March 14, 2007

How to make any new DVD player region free (or: I should've bought that vehicle Voltron DVD set from New Zealand)

Long story short:

1) My computer's DVD player (a Philips DVD8631) broke while under warranty last week, so Dell sent me a new one this week (a Philips DVD8801).

2) I read on the internet that DVD players don't come region encoded from the factory-they adopt the region of the first DVD you put into them.

3) After installing the DVD player I put a region 0 disc into it. That is, I put in an all regions disc that plays on any player. (Helloween's High Live DVD-you can find other region free titles on ebay)

4) My computer's DVD player is now all regions. Since monitors don't have NTSC or PAL limitations, I can play DVDs from Japan, the US, the UK and everywhere else. (I've tested it with the region 4 release of Transformers the Movie from Australia and Helloween's "Pumpkin Video" Japanese DVD which is region 2.)

1 comment:

Evil King Macrocranios said...

P.S. I am a moron. This doesn't really work.

 

Minibox 3 Column Blogger Template by James William at 2600 Degrees

Evil King Macrocranios was voted king by the evil peoples of the Kingdom of Macrocrania. They listen to Iron Maiden all day and try to take pictures of ghosts with their webcams.