Sunday, January 28, 2007

Almost out of Antractica



Everytime I wake up on a day off I evaluate the PoA (Probablility Of Awesomeness) index for that day. Evaluating PoA index accurately is crucial because if a day fails to meet a minumum level of potential awesomeness then I have no choice but to go back to bed. For example, Saturday's PoA index was very low and consequently I spent 17 of 24 hours from that day totally unconscious. However, Sunday held much awesomeness potential so I decided to wake up.

There was much Antarctic experiencing going on that day as I went for a short trip aboard the US Coast Guard icebreaker Polar Sea up and down McMurdo Sound. With a little over three weeks left here it was kind of nice to break the routine by getting out away from the station and the airfields. Thanks to the Polar Sea cruise I feel a little recharged and able to tackle the rest of my remaining time at the space station.

After the ship ride I took a tour of Crary mad scientist labratory but I didn't get any pictures of that. The Sunday night science lecture about meteorites in Antractcia was pretty great. All in all it was one of the best days off I've had down here.

Of course there are pictures. I've been pretty behind in updating my Flickr Macrocrania updates here so there's two new pages in the Antarctica Summer '06-'07 set. So check out page nine which features me at work one day when the C-17 came and went. Then see page ten with shots taken aboard the Polar Sea.

The rest of the week for me looks like very low PoA index, but unfortunately I have to be awake for most of it. Snow isn't in the forecast anytime soon so the snowflake project is hurting. I'm almost out of podcasts so my remaining shifts out on the ice will be either very quiet or there will be much singing of songs written by Rob Thomas. Please save me internets!

No comments:

 

Minibox 3 Column Blogger Template by James William at 2600 Degrees

Evil King Macrocranios was voted king by the evil peoples of the Kingdom of Macrocrania. They listen to Iron Maiden all day and try to take pictures of ghosts with their webcams.