Friday, October 13, 2006

(NOT A) Transformer ad from 20 years ago of the week-M.A.S.K. Raven

I'm a big Transformer nerd but I run across lots of other interesting ads when I'm at the library so I'm going to use some of that stuff, too. Here's an ad from JC Penny for the week of Dec 14-Dec 20th 1986 featuring the Raven from M.A.S.K.

Of all the M.A.S.K. toys I've owned the Raven is the only one I didn't lose somewhere or sell off on eBay. I love this toy. It is easily my favorite, although sadly not as iconic or easily recognizable as some of the other M.A.S.K. toys like the Thunderhawk or Rhino.

What made it really fun to me was how the wheels could all fold under the body of the car. If you didn't go through the entire transformation and just left the wheels tucked under, it looked like the DeLorean from Back to the Future, except it was a friggin' Corvette! The inverted gull wing doors were an innovation I'd never seen on a toy before or since. I loved the rocket boosters that popped up from the rear spoiler. They were much better looking than the Thunderhawk's spoiler/rocket design. And of course, rotating the entire front end AND being able to shoot big round sawblades out the front bumper just ruled. The pilot Calhoun Burns had a lame name and dorky colored outfit but at least he drove the most awesome transforming Corvette of all 80's toylines. Hell, this was definitely one of the best toys of the 80's.

It never dawned on me until 2005 that no M.A.S.K. figures had eyeballs. How did they drive? Crazy!

No comments:

 

Minibox 3 Column Blogger Template by James William at 2600 Degrees

Evil King Macrocranios was voted king by the evil peoples of the Kingdom of Macrocrania. They listen to Iron Maiden all day and try to take pictures of ghosts with their webcams.