Thursday, August 17, 2006

Damn those heavy mountains!

Every year for the past two years I do this thing where I make these little robot figures for people at a robot fan convention in another state. It takes a lot of work. The figures are all totally scratchbuilt and the process is pretty labor intensive. This year's set of 50 plastic robots consists of over 700 little pieces I have to to make and paint and put together. It takes a lot of time.

Sometimes during the process I feel overwhelmed. When the workload seems enormous I think about how great it'll be once it's all done. When I send the figures off in the mail to the guys running the show, the feeling of accomplishment is unbeatable. There's nothing else like it in the world. But as I write this, that feeling is still a long ways away.

Damn during the times I'm producing this stuff I feel like the Hulk when the Beyonder dropped that mountain on him in the first Secret Wars. It's a ton of work. When I'm looking at hundreds of little resin parts that I just finished casting knowing that I'm not even halfway through the process, it's soul crushing. I don't know where the inspiration to keep going comes from. But I keep going. Hell, I could be dead.

Now that I think about it, if 'Hell I could be dead' is all I'm left with to make light of my current situation I really need to find better ways to cope with my problems.

I can't wait to be done. For the first time since I started doing this I'll be going to the robot convention. I want to be as anonymous as possible so I can get a feel for what the attendees think of all my work. If they think it sucks, well so be it. But if even one person who doesn't know me likes what I've done it'll all be worth it.

No comments:

 

Minibox 3 Column Blogger Template by James William at 2600 Degrees

Evil King Macrocranios was voted king by the evil peoples of the Kingdom of Macrocrania. They listen to Iron Maiden all day and try to take pictures of ghosts with their webcams.