Thursday, March 20, 2008

My Mexicanned DVD covers

I move a lot and back in 2003 I got tired of the movers breaking all my stuff. They would rip my magazine covers and they'd be so rough with my DVDs that they'd break the cases. So I decided to put all my DVDs in spare CD cases that I could afford to have destroyed. Then I made some really quick Sharpie marker cover art for each CD case so that I knew what DVD was inside. I found a couple of my home made DVD covers when I was going through my stuff the other day and boy are they retarded.

Although I only took a few minutes to do each one, some of them are pretty good. I think the first one I did was for Transformers and it features a Megatron with two right hands pointing down at a smoking Optimus Prime. Megatron's "It's the end of the world, punk! You're going to die!" was such a great quote that I used it on all the other DVD covers I did even if it didn't make sense in the context of the movie. My absolute favorite was for the first disc of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. That cover has all sorts of great stuff going on from a shoddily corrected misspelling of the title to art featuring UFOs dropping atomic bombs on Devil's Tower.

Nowadays the cool thing is to do "sweded" versions of movies ala the film "Be Kind Rewind". Calling stuff sweded is cool and all, but whatever happened to the term "Do It Yourself"? I guess I could call my DVD covers "Mexicanned" by that logic. Heck, using those rules I could call 95% of all automobile paint jobs "Mexicanned", too. I was thinking about how back when I was a kid, Marvel UK released Transformers comics in the UK that had stories written and drawn by British people. At Botcon I will refer to these comics as the "Britted" versions. Yes please I am looking for the Britted Transformers comic books.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool drawings. You saw Be Kind Rewind? What'd you think?

Evil King Macrocranios said...

Nope, I haven;t seen it but it's probably terrible.

 

Minibox 3 Column Blogger Template by James William at 2600 Degrees

Evil King Macrocranios was voted king by the evil peoples of the Kingdom of Macrocrania. They listen to Iron Maiden all day and try to take pictures of ghosts with their webcams.