The sound of the breaking of the 73rd seal of the Roboplastic Apocalypse is the mighty roar of jet engines carrying the Nostrodomatron non-stop from southern Florida to Houston, Texas on a date with toy robots comic royalty! Yes at a single convention in Texas this past August I met three of my favorite writer/artists whose combined works are some of the most significant toy robots comics of the past 40 years! At Amazing Houston Comic Con I got to meet the legendary Len Wein, who wrote the very first toy robot/comic book tie in back in 1971, AND Herb Trimpe, the penciling king of Shogun Warriors comics who wrote and drew Robotix #1 in 1985, AND Tom Scioli. writer/artist of the current Transformers vs G.I. Joe comic from IDW Publishing! And of course I made terrible audio recordings of it all to share with you, my fellow Macrocranians. It just goes to show that you can win if you dare, but you can skip the daring part and go straight to the winning if you have a ton of frequent flier miles and credit card rewards points. Who penciled the first issue of Microbots? How does Herb Trimpe feel about alien robots that turn into cigarette lighters and fountain pens? By what brilliant logic did Tom Scioli deduce that Soundwave and Shockwave were brothers? And who is the only comic artist worth waiting two hours in line for to let him sign your vagina? Find out all that and more in this I'M FINALLY SHOOTING RUSSIAN UNICORNS WITH CARMEN SANDIEGO edition of the Podcastalypse!
Or download it directly
You can find all these pictures (INCLUDING one of Jim Lee drinking water) at my Amazing Houston Comic Con 2014 photo album on Flickr.
The most recently livest portions of this episode were recorded at Tate's Comics + Toys + More during their Out of This World sale
The most oldest livest portions of this episode were recorded at Amazing Houston Comic Con 2014 at the George R. Brown Convention Center in Houston, Texas
|I FOUND HIM! I FOUND HIM! I FINALLY FOUND HIM! HERB TRIMPE!!!|
There were some old TFs but I thought they were a bit high. Some of them literally were-my camera needed its tripod extended to reach them!
It's the American Barbarian himself-Tom Scioli.
|Tom absolutely murdered everyone with his dramatic readings from Transformers vs. G.I. Joe. Then after they were all dead he gave them free copies of Transfomers vs. G.I. Joe #1.|
|Here are some of the scribblings I managed to achieve:|
Amazing Houston Comic Con was so amazing it could make a grown baby cry!
BUT MAN WHAT WAS UP WITH THOSE PRICES?!?!
|Amazing Houston Comic Con||Tate's prices|
|Transformers back issues at AHCC were 2.5x to 4x higher than back home in Florida. I could have been a Texas hundredaire!!|
SHOW NOTES OF THE PODCASTALYPSE
- My obsession with rare, vermillion, Ukranian unicorns
- Pics from my visit to Tate's Out of This World sale
- Debating on whether or not to get Transformers Legacy
- My old interview with David Schleinkofer
- Wishing I was at London Film and Comic Con Winter 2014
- Remembering my trip to the Amazing Houston Comic Con
- Meeting Len Wein at AHCC and talking about Microbots
- I FINALLY MET HERB TRIMPE!!!
- Herb Trimpe's inspiring New York Times article about being fired by Marvel
- The Jim Lee line experience
- BREAK: Stan Lee interviews Jim Lee
- Talking Starrmorfens with Tom Scioli
- The also amazing Transformers vs. G.I. Joe
- ...and equally amazing American Barbarian
- Amazing Comic Cons exclusive TF vs.GI JOE #2 cover
- Some sketches Tom did at AHCC of Soundwave and Trypticon
- BREAK: Zartan by The Hardstuff
- Scoring a Dash Rendar before talking toys with Toy Hunter Jordan Hembrough
- Toyfinity doing an classic deco Maxx Zero
- Don't Rocket Punch Your Friends!