IT'S THE 25TH PODCASTALYPSE! And it's more exciting than being on an airplane flown by a velociraptor without a pilot's license because Michael Golden's here and he's got some stories to tell. It's a Prometheus Pit full of fun as the King of the Acroyears recounts what it's like being a respected superhero artist while also being known as that guy who worked on all those licensed toy books. It's one of the most experienced storytellers of our time discussing the difference between art and craft and what happens when commercialism usurps artistic integrity. Are the Star Wars prequels as bad as the critics say? Was Star Wars #38 about being obsessed with Star Wars? And what REALLY happened to those Micronaut and GI Joe action figure "production samples" they gave him? Find out all that and more in this "I KEPT THE JET!" edition of the podcastalypse!
Or download it directly
DEFINITELY SAY HI (BUT DON'T ASK FOR AN "ICONIC" AUTOGRAPH!)
Humongous thanks to Michael Golden for allowing me this interview during WizardWorld Miami 2011 and making my 25th episode something really special. Definitely go check out his panels on storytelling during the WizardWorld Convention Tour-the one in Miami was a highlight of the show for me. You can keep up with Michael at his Facebook and stay on top of his upcoming convention appearances at EvaInkArtistGroup.com. His next convention is Wizard World Toronto March 18-20th then it's back to Florida for MegaCon March 25-27th!
SHOW NOTES OF THE PODCASTALYPSE
- Overview of Michael Golden's career
- ComicBookDB.com's chronological listing of Michael Golden's work
- My favorite awesome Michael Golden covers:
- Micronauts #2 (Micronauts being chased by a lawn mower)
- Micronauts #22 (Endeavor with a semi truck behind it)
- GI Joe #27 (Storm Shadow kicking Snake Eyes off a train)
- Rom #8 (Rom pulled into an open grave by Dire Wraiths)
- Doctor Strange #55 (Ground bursting skull demons and cape action!)
- Transformers #2 (Megatron blasting Optimus while stepping on Bumblebee)
- Crystar #8 (The one Glen Danzig stole the skull off of)
- ExoSquad #3 (link may not work)
- Peter Porker the Spectacular Spider-Ham #1
- Jurrassic Park: Raptor #2 (Raptors on a plane!)
- Interview with Michael Golden
- Early childhood ambitions
- The custom van mural craze of the 1970s
- Collecting puppets and toy robots
- Japanese manga vs US comic storytelling styles
- Pushing the limits of the comic book medium
- Differentiating between art and craft
- Examining the Star Wars prequels from a storytelling perspective
- Films that are undermined by commercial motivations
- The initial cyborg origins of Acroyear
- The design of the Micronaut Endeavor
- Leaving the Micronauts because of a change in the book's direction
- Why did the Micronauts land in Florida?
- The story of Star Wars #38 "Riders in the Void"
- The tendency of history to unfold in a predictable pattern
- What happened to the toys?
- The reluctance of 80s comics artists to work on licensed properties like Transformers
- Excess: The Art of Michael Golden
- Closing thanks
- Other interviews at Innerspace online and Comic Zone Radio
- Upcoming Michael Golden convention appearances
- Don't rocket punch your friends!