Monday, January 28, 2008

Deal of the Week OR: You smoking pool?

Okay, there hasn't been a deal of the week in a while because I'm selfish and I was keeping them all to myself. But check this out-Lost and Found Toys has Binaltech Grimlock on clearance for $47.99. I know that it's difficult to believe $50 for a toy car is a good deal if you're not someone who's up on Japanese 1:24 scale transforming robot Mustang Tyrannosauruses, but sometimes I just ask that you trust me.

For you seekers of G1 Canadian lenticular stickers from 1985 ceral boxes, there's an ebay auction from that same guy I bought a set from going on right now. Starting bid on this auction is $29.99 and I got my set for $40 so maybe you'll be able to pull it off $10 cheaper than I if there's no competition. He's set the Buy-It-Now at $80. Again, you kind of have to take my word that somewhere between $30 and $80 is a deal on eight little square stickers from 20 year old cereal boxes, but this blog isn't called Please Save Me Common Sense.

Before I get flooded with no emails about what deals I've kept for myself, let me share with you my fellow citizens of Macrocrania these two comics I bought recently, along with a little background on why they're personal holy grails:


In late '86 just after the animated movie, Marvel decided to do a bi-monthly series of Transformers comics reprints in a digest size called "Transformers Comics Magazine". Transformers used to be so popular that this rehashing of old material in a smaller, difficult to read size continued for a year and a half. My sister was the one who caught on to this series and kept up with it through the seventh issue, probably because I was a total a-hole and didn't let her read my copies of the original comics from '84-'85. There were only ten in the TF:CM set and the last two issues are insanely difficult to find. Even at Botcon I was able to find all but the last two issues for no more than $3 a pop. But those last two eluded me for years.

When I did find them recently at Mile High Comics, they wanted $10.40 for #9 and $18.00 for #10. There was no way in hell I was paying that much. $30 for two itty bitty comics that originally retailed together for a total of $3 was a bit much, even for me. I've written earlier about how Mile High's president does crazy sales based on how near to death he is so I waited for one, although I was wondering what disease he'd have to get before he'd bring the price on those two down. I didn't want them to be AIDS cheap because I really like the guy, but I was hoping maybe his West Nile virus would flare up again briefly so I could see maybe a 30% discount. Well in December last year he not only had a 50% off sale, but he decided to give everybody on his mailing list a $10 off coupon. I was floored. At that price I guessed he must have contracted herpes, but no, it turned out he was just in the Christmas spirit. That meant after shipping & handling, my two Moby Dicks of toy robots comics would only cost me $11. I thought it was a dream or a mistake, but they came through on their word and the books arrived. I was stunned, but not as much as I am now that they've raised the prices on those two to $18 and $30 respectively. I love you Mile High Comics, but $48 is a Japanese Mustang Tyrannosaurus!

No comments:

 

Minibox 3 Column Blogger Template by James William at 2600 Degrees

Evil King Macrocranios was voted king by the evil peoples of the Kingdom of Macrocrania. They listen to Iron Maiden all day and try to take pictures of ghosts with their webcams.