Wednesday, September 12, 2007

hOW i BLEW MY life savings, episode twelve thousand

I was at Suncoast last week debating whether or not I should get the latest Iron Maiden and Helloween concert DVDs. I am really into both those bands but I HATE HATE HATE how the concert setlist is comprised of one or two songs from the latest albums and then fifty songs from their Jurassic Periods that I already have a buttload of versions of live. I wish these guys would just do a live concert video of songs from the latest albums, or even latest three albums. Catering to all those casual fans who only know the most popular songs these bands put out 20 years ago sucks for anyone who's actually keeping up and buying the latest records. It pisses me off! I don't mind bandwagon hopper fans who are just into the latest things-at least bandwagon hoppers appreciate the new material. I wish there was some way to get rid of the old timer casual fans who the record labels cater to with repetitive greatest hits packages and crappy concert DVDs.

I left Suncoast happy because I did find a used Teddy Ruxpin volume 1 DVD dirt cheap. At least I'll get my money's worth from classic Teddy Ruxpins that I can watch with my son. I used to watch Teddy Ruxpin hardcore when I was a teenager. It had an ongoing story arc that lasted the full 65 episodes. These DVDs are mastered from the worst sources available and in some frames there's huge hairs on the camera and other defects. I swear these were mastered from VHS copies. It also sucks that only two 5 episode DVDs were ever made but I'll take what I can get.

People who read Transformer comic books have gotten used to the idea that not all the characters in the comics would be made into roboplasticos. Back in the Marvel days it was understood that the book was meant to sell existing toys but that didn't stop the creators from making some new original robots and putting them in the stories. Since the robot comic fan market has always been tiny compared to the mainstream, we just accepted that these comic only characters would stay exactly that. But in the last five years or so Hasbro's started making robots based on comic characters from the current books. This is pretty cool and the other day at Target I got this guy called "The Fallen" who was the main antagonist robot from Dreamwave's War Within: The Dark Ages series. He turns into a Cybertronian BBQ grill. I never in a million years thought that this guy would be made especially since that book came and went years ago, but here it is. Actually the robot mode of the figure looks more like Megatron from the current Megatron Origin comic than it does the Fallen, but as with Teddy Ruxpin, I'll take what I can get.



Holy crap they still make Boo Berry and Frankenberry. I was looking for Count Chocula but I couldn't find any.

And speaking of ghosty thingys, my BT-18 Binaltech Spy Rijie in Electro Disrupter Mode came today. I will be calling it "clear Alternators Mirage". It looks great but I am rather worried that the clear plastic will yellow over time even if it's taken really good care of. I've seen clear Transformers yellow before and it's not pretty. Was it worth the $91.50 total I paid? Hell yeah it was.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Trust me, you can never have enough Iron Maiden concert DVDs...

 

Minibox 3 Column Blogger Template by James William at 2600 Degrees

Evil King Macrocranios was voted king by the evil peoples of the Kingdom of Macrocrania. They listen to Iron Maiden all day and try to take pictures of ghosts with their webcams.