Friday, October 27, 2006

Transformer ad from 20 years ago of the week-Omega Supreme and friends

I'm on a real high from the trip I took to Motive Parts & Supply the other day, so this week's old toy robot ad would be from there. This one came out either the week of November 24, 1985 or December 1st, 1985. It was one of those two. I'll have to look it up.

ad with omega supreme and other toys

You can see Omega Supreme here alongside Trailbreaker, Sunstreaker, Hound, Mirage, and Skywarp. At the time Omega Supreme was the largest Transformer ever. I remember visiting a Winn's store and seeing Omega Supreme for the first time. I didn't have any toys with the 1985 catalogs yet and he was a total shock to me.

The box was huge. I remember holding it in my arms when I was 11 and thinking how enormous he must be. The box's size was deceptive, though. It was only that big because he's made of something like 24 seperate pieces, the majority of which are big bulky armor. I knew we could never afford a $40 Transformer so I wrote off the possibility of having one because I wasn't about to get a job at 11 years old and work for it. Even then I was perfectly happy going without if it meant I could maintain my standard of laziness.

I remember Sunstreaker being my first Autobot car and Mirage was my sister's first. We got them on the same trip to Sears. My mom bought my sister and I all three Decepticon jets for Christmas of '84 or '85. So Skywarp was mine and my sister got Starscream. My sister also got Hound.

I remember seeing an empty Hound box as late as 1986 at one Winn's store in El Paso. It was so weird to see the empty box on the shelves. I wanted to ask if I could buy it but I was sure they wouldn't let me. I figured they would think I was the guy who stole the toy in the first place and I was trying to get the packaging, too.

I never had Trailbreaker, but I think my cousin Paul did. Eventually in the mid nineties I did complete my collection of '84-'85 Transformers with the help of eBay. I do remember picking up a Trailbreaker and a prerub Bluestreak in 2003 at a garage sale in Tucson, Arizona for $1 each. Both of them were in great shape but they were missing all accessories and stickers. It was still pretty sweet!

No comments:

 

Minibox 3 Column Blogger Template by James William at 2600 Degrees

Evil King Macrocranios was voted king by the evil peoples of the Kingdom of Macrocrania. They listen to Iron Maiden all day and try to take pictures of ghosts with their webcams.