The sixth seal of the Roboplastic Apocalypse crashers to the ground as I discuss the first year of the mightiest robots and mightiest vehicles ever! Listen in astonishment as my plan to do a short twenty minute show on the inception and introduction of the GoBots franchise evolves into part 1 of what will probably be an hour and a half long Gobotastic Podtrilogy!
Or download it directly
SHOW NOTES OF THE PODCASTALYPSE*
- Intro poem "The Roboplastic Podcastalypse" (GoBotron edition)
- Shout out to another GoBotastic podcast: TFWire Episode 176
- Overview of stuff I mostly got to
- Jarringly loud GoBots commercial
- Success has many fathers, GoBots has three-Tonka, Bandai and Popy
- Popy / Bandai's Machine Robo launch and its popularity overseas
- Inc. Magazine's "What Makes GoBots Go?" article from July 1984
- USA 1980-1982: No country for old robots
- BandaiRobos: the rebranding and renaming of Machine Robo
- Are you a man or a Machine Man?
- Highway Robo does not turn into a highway
- Controversy over Machine Man's original release date
- Please Save Me GoBots: Tonka's tough times in the early 80s
- Stephen Shanks goes with mighty robots and mighty marketers
- Masters of the GoBoverse
- Why Tonka mightily dumped the name "Machine Robo"
- Lois Hanrahan and the initially lukewarm kid reaction to the toys
- Mighty Puppies! Lion-O + Cooler = Cooli-O?
- GoBots and Masters of the Universe names similarities
- Discrepancy in story on packaging vs. cartoon
- Michael Halperin: Father of Eternia and GoBotron
- Key to the GoBots backstory: Making robots with PMS believable
- The "legitimate GoBot government" and you
- Toy robots stories require suspension of belief
- How to fight a war without calling it one
- Guardian yours, Enemy mine
- Women, GoBots and the Transformers that don't love them
- GoBots cartoon producers' attempts to satiate censors and consumer groups
- Censors and consumer groups and how the GoBots cartoon producers did not satiate them
- Have your Tank and eat it, too
- Exit poem
Toy & Hobby Co. 11/22/84
*Also, at the 15:22 mark I originally said "Tonka in 1983" but I accidentally cut off the "3" during editing and I'm too lazy to go back and fix it right now.