Tuesday, September 25, 2007

That's how the cookie crumbles (and then turns into a robot)

Why is it that if I lose an eBay auction by one dollar I get all pissed off but when I lose it by any other increment I let it slide? Why is the increment of one dollar so infuriating? Either way I lost. Losing by a lot doesn't make it any more or less okay. That's how I know winning an eBay auction isn't about buying what I want at all, it's about bragging rights so I can gloat over how much more retarded I am with money than the other guy who came in second.

Regardless, remember when I was all crazy about those two auctions for the Skywarp and Mixmaster lenticular stickers from the 1986 Cookie Crisp boxes? I was all bummed out because I lost and didn't get to pay $50 for two of these stickers. Well I just won a buttload of them recently for $40. The seller described the auction as the whole first series of 8 Canadian stickers from 1985. I remain skeptical because there are some discrepancies between that claim and what I know exists based on internet research. For example, Mixmaster and Omega Supreme both had "Canada 1985" copyrights, which would make them the ninth and tenth stickers that year. (For some background on what I've learned so far, check out Shawn's article over at Branded in the 80's.)

What makes up a complete set of these stickers hasn't been figured out yet but some collectors have made educated guesses. Now based on the contents of the auction I just won, my own collection and other information I've compiled, here's my guesses on what I think exists. This is my speculative list of Cookie Crisp Transformers lenticular stickers. Stickers that are not confirmed to exist and that are guesses on my part are in parenthesis. My guesses are based on the assumptions that a) each faction side had an equal number of characters represented b) Canada got the same characters as the US did (as evidenced by Omega Supreme and Soundwave existing in both sets) and c) Canada got more characters than the US did.

--US 1985
(character name in white letters)
PERCEPTOR
OMEGA SUPREME
SNARL

BLITZWING
SOUNDWAVE
(SKYWARP?)



--CANADA 1985
(character name in red letters)
OPTIMUS PRIME
PROWL
BUMBLEBEE
SIDESWIPE
OMEGA SUPREME

MEGATRON
SOUNDWAVE
LASERBEAK
SKYWARP
MIXMASTER

--CANADA 1986
(character name in red letters)
ASTROTRAIN
GALVATRON
(BLITZWING?)
(?)
(?)

BEACHCOMBER
ULTRA MAGNUS
SWOOP
(PERCEPTOR?)
(SNARL?)


There are probably a lot more out there-I still think Jazz should exist but that's just my own bias. I'm pretty happy about tracking down and confirming the existence of Optimus Prime. If I were to speculate further I'd guess that everything Canada got was also released in the US, but it's not looking like that as of now.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You should have just eaten more Cookie Crisp as a kid.

Weasel said...

I had the Snarl and Blitzwing stickers as a kid. They were in one of my sticker books, stuck on a "Favorites" page.

:disolves into a sobbing heap:
There.... was.... a.... Bumblebee?! And how the hell much am I gonna have to shell out to get him?! (He will be mine. Oh, yeeeeeeeeees.....)

Evil King Macrocranios said...

Yeah Mick I tried. But looking back, the four stickers I did get represent four weeks of Cookie Crisp eating in our house when I was a kid. I was really into Transformers as a kid but a month of eating Cookie Crisp was all I could take. I always thought it tasted like dirt and cactus.

And Lyn thanks for the first hand info on what you had. Every report I get from people who grew up in the US mentions getting the same three or four characters. Admittedly my sample is small but I'm almost convinced the majority were Canadian exclusives. Good luck tracking down Bumblebee.

Weasel said...

I'd feel a helluva lot more useful if I actually had pics of those stickers. I feel kinda useless like this. =/

Good luck tracking down Bumblebee.

Thankies. I figure I'm going to need all the luck I can get.

 

Minibox 3 Column Blogger Template by James William at 2600 Degrees

Evil King Macrocranios was voted king by the evil peoples of the Kingdom of Macrocrania. They listen to Iron Maiden all day and try to take pictures of ghosts with their webcams.