Wednesday, August 29, 2007

No ice for me, please (but I wish I had some)



I'm not going down to Antarctica this year. While I'm very grateful that I had the opportunity to do it two years in a row, I really wanted to spend time with my son during his first Thanksgiving and Christmas and all that. Between Antarctica and military stuff I haven't had Christmas with my wife since around 2003 I think. So it was a tough decision to make but this year I'll be at home with my new family while my friends go down to the ice for the '07-'08 austral summer. Some of them are already there and one of them, Cliff, is keeping a daily blog. I wish I could be there so I could do what I do best-sit in a little tower on the ice looking at the sky and watching the planes come and go. Collecting snowflakes, making AT-AT videos and bootleg Iron Maiden shirts and looking for old robot cartoons in New Zealand record stores was pretty fun, too. It's especially rough missing out this time because I expect that in a few years the job may not even be available once the machines get good enough to replace human weather observers. I don't know if I'll ever be able to go back but if I don't I am happy with the memories I have.

No comments:

 

Minibox 3 Column Blogger Template by James William at 2600 Degrees

Evil King Macrocranios was voted king by the evil peoples of the Kingdom of Macrocrania. They listen to Iron Maiden all day and try to take pictures of ghosts with their webcams.