Friday, June 01, 2007

Attention Camaro Enthusiasts! New rare 1974 Camaro variant found!

Even though my mom's family were first generation Camaro owners and my high school friends had second and third generation Camaros and I would spend hours as a teenager going over Classic Camaro catalogs and I went to automotive collision repair school and I worked in body shops alongside other muscle car enthusiasts on 1970's Camaros, I am being totally schooled on Camaro knowledge by the various Thoroughly Informative Transformer Themed Internet Entertainment Sites! Apparently there exists a model of Camaro I never knew existed-the 1974 Camaro with the wraparound rear window!

In the new Transformers movie Bumblebee starts out as a second generation Camaro. Now people who think they know Camaros might say upon first glance that Bumblebee is a Camaro from the '75 to '77 model years because he has a wraparound rear window. Honestly, I always thought the 1974 Camaro was the last year that the rear window was rectangular. BUT WAIT! The Thoroughly Informative Transformer Themed Internet Entertainment Sites that are always well researched tell me that Bumblebee is in fact a 1974 model! Although my experience would say otherwise, I have learned not to question the Transformers Illuminati who run these sites. They are infallible.

I'm sure that if Bumblebee were not a 1974 Camaro with a wraparound rear windshield, the Thoroughly Informative Transformer Themed Internet Entertainment Sites would publish corrections or state that the official materials saying he's a 1974 model are wrong, but that is not the case! And I'm sure that if I sent them emails saying Bumblebee was in fact any Camaro built from 1975 to 1977 they would immediately refute me with their infinitely stronger Transformers kung fu. So the only possible conclusion is that there exists a 1974 Camaro with a wraparound rear window that neither I nor any other Camaro enthusiast knew about!

Those Thoroughly Informative Transformer Themed Internet Entertainment Sites are awesome! They are also run by people ignorant of anything requiring real life experience outside of a toystore. I don't expect everyone to know what the hell a 1974 Camaro looks like. And even if you weren't the guy who invented 1974 Camaro rear windshield glass, I'd expect a little research on the subject after many fans have tried to point this out. This is why I rank internet toy robot journalists slightly less credible than UFO abductees who claim they had sex with aliens that look like Wile E. Coyote.

9 comments:

Weasel said...

Great. No matter which model year he is, it's probably gonna cost me a freaking mint.

Getting a decent Beetle won't be cheap, either.

::cries::

(Yes, I am a rampaging geek. So what?)

Evil King Macrocranios said...

What's funny is that the Movie Legends version doesn't have the wraparound rear window and is the only toy that could be considered a 1974 model Camaro. Bumblebee in the movie and all the other toy incarnations are very obviously later model years. So depending on which toy you're trying to emulate you have a few Camaro model year choices.

naladahc said...

Are you sure that the 1974 with that window isn't an exclusive retool?

Evil King Macrocranios said...

You mean the real car? Yes I am absolutely sure that 1975 was the first year with the wraparound rear window and no production 1974s exist with wraparound rear windows.

It's so easy to clarify this but because the TITTIES propagate any misinformation that Hasbro throws at them they don't listen to anyone else. Freakin' TITTIES!

Anonymous said...

I always had this complaint with the Gone in 60 Seconds movies.

Neitherfilm uses a 1969 Shelby Cobra GT500. However I'm not positive the original actually pushed the car as being that car. The new one certainly did and it certainly was not a GT500.

Anonymous said...

Er, 67 GT500.

Anonymous said...

What's really amusing is that Hasbro, whenever they identify it (many of the toys are simply branded "classic Camaro") says it's a '75

Evil King Macrocranios said...

The November 2007 issue of Hot Rod magazine has a behind the scenes article that confirms the filmmakers used three 1976 Camaros for Bumblebee.

Anonymous said...

I actually just bought a 74 with the wrap around window. Title and vin match

 

Minibox 3 Column Blogger Template by James William at 2600 Degrees

Evil King Macrocranios was voted king by the evil peoples of the Kingdom of Macrocrania. They listen to Iron Maiden all day and try to take pictures of ghosts with their webcams.