Friday, November 16, 2007

TFormers: Where the "T" is for "Truthiness"


Jefferson Ward 24 Oct 1984
Uh-oh, the kiddies who run the Thoroughly Informative Transformer Themed Internet Entertainment Sites are at it again. One of them found time between Pokemon matches to write a fairly informative article about the history of the Transformer toy Jazz. There are a couple of mistakes in there amongst the pictures stolen from other sites, but hey, doing writeups like this is not easy especially when your Naruto headband is on too tight. Like they say, nobody's perfect, but I've found the kids who write the blog entries at Tformers are my favoritest least perfect people.


Target 05 Dec 1984
I enjoy the TFormers campaign of misinformation blog entries for the times like when they write that Sky Lynx was a Dinobot and Sideswipe was the first Alternator. Of course they correct the entries after they're pointed out, but not after a bit of robocock oneupmanship with the readers who point out the mistakes. To their credit they do leave up the comments by the people reporting the error in the first place. So I'm not too bothered by the statement in the Jazz article about how "When Jazz was released in 1984, he was originally retailed at $15." I thought to myself that someone will point out this obviously made up bullshit eventually. I was only ten in '84 but I don't remember anywhere near $15 being the price and I've never found a single ad for Autobot cars over $12 when I'm doing research for the Vintage Space Toaster Palace. But after some contemplation I'm sure it's possible that during the 80's, somewhere in some backwoods crackhouse, somebody may have paid $15 for a Jazz. The 80's were a crazy time. Also, awesome and scary.


Children's Palace 01 Dec 1985
So I let it slide and I figured the last person they want pointing out yet another error in their articles is some 33 year old scary guy like me. Although I am a bit disappointed because you'd think with the writer's strike going on, the TFormers guys could free up some time to do actual research since there won't be any new episodes of Dora The Explorer or Sesame Street for a while. Lucky for me, one reader has tried pointing out the misinformation and he did it just the way I would have. He could have been a total asshole but instead he asked what the source for the $15 price was and pointed out that at most stores Autobot cars ran in the neighborhood of $9.99 back in the day. But instead of graciously accepting the input, it's business as usual and the $15 Jazz guy took a break from watching Baby Einstein videos enough to respond with the lone sentence, "And at which store were yours $9.99?" LET THE ROBOCOCK PISSING CONTEST BEGIN!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. God. I'm so glad I left that site if this is the level of "reporting" they do these days.

"heading the Special Ops unit." Um, What special Ops unit? They should also clarify that "Zombie" Jazz was in the UK comics that IDW just reprinted. A remolded Pretender? WTF? And could the idiot use the word curiously some more?

I'd comment on the page, but I'd have to log in and I haven't in 4 or more years and won't start now.

Gawd, this pisses me off.

Weasel said...

Hey, Pokémon battles are hard work! Which reminds me, I gotta train for the Elite 4...

...What?

LET THE ROBOCOCK PISSING CONTEST BEGIN!

Paging Bumblebee... ;)

Oh. My. God. I'm so glad I left that site if this is the level of "reporting" they do these days.

I've been trying to convince Prime (by yelling loudly "Why in the hell are you giving them a friggin' mouseclick?!") not to frequent that site anymore. He's finally quit and I sure as hell try not to give 'em any traffic.

And some dingdong said that this "may as well be a Wikipedia entry for TF:Jazz"? As if Wikipedia ain't screwed up enough as it is...

Evil King Macrocranios said...

Hey! I love that first comment about how this may as well be a Wiki entry on Jazz. That response is the epitome of truthiness.

TFormers blog articles are the most entertaining train wreck in the fandom today. There's no way I'm going to quit reading the Omega Supreme of retarded robot tabloid journalism.

Weasel said...

Your brain must be stronger than mine; I can only stand so much crap before I finally lose what's left of my sanity.

Trust me, there ain't much left. I do work in retail, you know. XD

Anonymous said...

Look for a blow by blow of my disdain for this article on my 360 blog.

Anonymous said...

cs:

Lemme talk about that $15 for just one second, because I have this persistent memory of Grapple being marked at that price.

It's most likely that Grapple was on sale the day I got him, and I seem to recall that it was a purchase made at the mall, which would have made it Kay-Bee. Could the source of the $15 price rumor have been Kay-Bee's practice of marking toys "7.99, compare to 14.99", as if $14.99 was the actual going rate, instead of $10? I think they were doing that back then...before they got slapped for it.

Now that I think of it, I seem to think there was a $7.99 or some such price involved there, so I bet this is exactly where I misconceived this idea...

Cordially yours:
Autobus Prime
w/minicon Farebox.

Evil King Macrocranios said...

That's a totally legitimate argument for the source of the $15 price. It's based on the somewhat shifty KayBee ticketing practices and could even be verified by someone digging out an old box with a KayBee tag. Even if they never actually sold for that, it's still solid evidence for the claim.

Now why couldn't the article writer just offer that up as proof instead of being such a douchebag? I guess because the article writer was afraid that old memories wouldn't be as easy to support as the other guy's $10 quote, which is easier to find proof for on the internet. All I would have liked to know is where they got the number and they failed to provide even the most anecdotal of evidence.

 

Minibox 3 Column Blogger Template by James William at 2600 Degrees

Evil King Macrocranios was voted king by the evil peoples of the Kingdom of Macrocrania. They listen to Iron Maiden all day and try to take pictures of ghosts with their webcams.